NHS Tutoring Program For High School and Grammar School Students!

The National Honor Society strives to succeed the four cardinal principles of the society, Character, Scholarship, Leadership, and Service. Tutoring has been performed for many years by members of the society, as it is a primary service opportunity that highlights all of the four cardinal virtues.

Students in NHS are required to tutor throughout the year. There are many tutoring opportunities. Underclass students that may be struggling in certain aspects or subjects have the opportunity to be tutored by members of the Society and it only takes one email. Guidance counselors or teachers have the ability to contact NHS moderator, Mr. Critelli, if they see a student to be struggling. From there Mr. Critelli will assign an NHS member to tutor that students that needs help. In addition, National Honor Society has teamed up with St. Rose Grammar School. Every Tuesday, students from the grammar gather in the SRHS Library and have the opportunity to be tutored by members of the society who excel in certain subjects.

Jenny Bassi, NHS member, was asked a few questions about tutoring.

Courier Writer: How is tutoring beneficial to you as a student?

Jenny Bassi: It allows me to interact with students and provides me the opportunity to view learning in a new perspective. I enjoy seeing students grow academically and it is exciting when a student understands we are going over.

Courier Writer: How is tutoring beneficial from the student.

Jenny Bassi: It helps the students gain a better understanding from the material and because I am a peer, the learning experience is more comfortable and allows them to be more confident and sure of themselves. Students feel more comfortable asking questions.

Courier Writer: Do you enjoy tutoring the grammar school students, and how is it different from the high school students.

Jenny Bassi: I enjoy it a lot because the students are excited to learn and find joy in the little, such as when they get a question right or understand the material.

Tutoring is a great way for NHS members to fulfill their required 25 service hours per semester, as they receive the hours but also help students to further understand what they are learning in school. Tutoring is also a great way for members to improve their leadership skills. Many benefits come from tutoring!