Farewell Mr. Ward

67-Stephen Ward-Soc StudiesAfter teaching for thirteen years at St. Rose High School, Mr. Ward is retiring. The St. Rose School community will fondly remember him for his vast knowledge of history and his impact on students and faculty. His presence will be missed in the library where one can find him reading the newspaper between classes. An avid sports fan, Mr. Ward can also be found at the St. Rose Athletics Complex rooting for the Purple Roses. Students will especially miss his informative and engaging classes.
Before teaching at St. Rose, Mr. Ward served in the United States Army and worked in the corporate world. He taught at many schools before joining St. Rose as a history teacher. Mr. Ward’s military background is not only inspiring to students but is also helpful to his discussions in the classroom. “I admire his military service and teaching style so much that I tried to emulate it into my teaching” Mr. White recalls. Mr. Ward’s classes require each student to participate in discussions. Even if someone gave a completely wrong answer he would usually respond with, “Well that may be true but,” Mr. Ward’s humor is one of everyone’s favorite parts of him.
Mr. Ward’s classroom can attest to his interest in the students of St. Rose. Newspaper clippings of student’s academic and athletic achievements are taped on the walls of his classroom. Whether it was in school or out, Mr. Ward was always supporting his students.
It’s no secret that most students admire Mr. Ward as a teacher and person. “I enjoyed talking to him, and I thought his humor was just the best. He’s one of my favorite teachers ever,” said former student Shannon Edly. Even past students who did not even have Mr. Ward as a teacher loved him. “I loved having ‘Wally’ Ward as my homeroom teacher, recalled Kerry Baglivio. St. Rose Junior Katie Considine, who had Mr. Ward for history last year and now has him for homeroom said, “Mr. Ward really inspired me as a teacher, and he also showed me how much I love history.” Whether it be present students or past, there is no doubt that Mr. Ward is admired by many.
Even though his time at St. Rose is coming to an end, Mr. Ward will certainly be remembered. His dry sense of humor and teaching style will certainly be missed among student and faculty. Wherever Mr. Ward goes next, whoever he is with will certainly be lucky. St. Rose wishes Mr. Ward the best of luck in his new chapter.

By Emmeline Anderson ’17 and Ava O’Shaughnessy ’17